View Single Post
Old 05-25-22, 06:16 AM   #4211
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Die Welt writes this. The general is so very, very right with what he indicates about the playing foul of the German government. I think and say the same. Do not trust Scholz, he plays foul, foul, foul. After all, the SPD always has been the most loyal advocate of Moscow's interests in Europe.

Klaus Wittmann was a brigadier general in the Bundeswehr. He explains Russia's large territorial gains with Ukraine's low resistance. In negotiations, they would lose the territories - a ceasefire would be the wrong way to go, in his view. The Russian advance in the Donbass continues. Last week, Russia's army made major territorial gains, according to its own figures. In the view of former Bundeswehr general Klaus Wittmann, the Ukrainian resistance force does not go far enough. In an interview with the WELT, he explains how Ukraine can regain its initiative and analyzes what role the German government plays in this.

WELT: Mr. Wittmann, if even the Ukrainian president says: Things are not looking good in the east, how do you actually have to imagine this in practical terms for the Ukrainian troops?

Klaus Wittmann: The pressure from the Russian forces is getting stronger. They are pulling together everything they have to gain space in the Donbass. And they already have 90 percent of Luhansk oblast in their possession. When President Selenskyj says the pressure is increasing, the situation is very serious. The Russians are trying to encircle certain towns, such as Zyverodonetsk. I don't estimate the morale and the will to fight of the Russian soldiers any better than that in the last whole last months. But one has to state realistically: Russian firepower is far superior.

WELT: What we are currently hearing sounds very threatening, at least for the eastern territories.

Klaus Wittmann: Yes, it is. In the last seven days, the Russians have gained more space than in the whole of May so far. I can only repeat: The strengthening of the Ukrainian resistance force is not yet far enough. And you can take a look at your own nose, many announcements that we have made have not been carried out for a long time.

WELT: As far as arms deliveries are concerned, the reports are often contradictory. First they say: We can deliver. But then the German government says: What we could deliver is currently sitting in the yard and first has to be repaired. What then?

Klaus Wittmann I can tell you two things about that: First, if the relevant decisions had been made in March, then the Leopard, Marder, self-propelled howitzers 2000, Gepard would all have been repaired, supplied with ammunition, the crews would have been trained and these very effective weapon systems would be in service in Ukraine. And secondly, if you really want something, you can make it happen. And if you don't want something, you're forever finding excuses, reservations, bureaucratic obstacles and the like.

WELT: Let's take another look at the situation in eastern Ukraine: What is the overall direction of the situation right now?

Klaus Wittmann: I hope, I hope that Ukraine will stand firm, that it will continue to be supplied with weapons systems and that it will get back on the initiative. SPD parliamentary group chairman Rolf Mützenich said in an interview on the war against Ukraine: "I hope that a ceasefire can be reached soon. Then we can finally focus on other issues." First of all, I find that incredibly lacking in empathy, and secondly, it feeds the suspicion, which others have already expressed, that the German political leadership is playing for time, hoping for a cease-fire, so that there will then be no need at all to keep the promises regarding heavy weapons. And there you fail to recognize what is happening to the people in the areas that Russia has occupied. And you fail to realize that at the moment Russia has doubled the occupied Ukrainian territory compared to February of this year and will certainly not hand over this conquered territory in negotiations. So to try to persuade the Ukrainians now: You have to enter into a cease-fire now as the very highest priority, I think that's wrong.

Note: For better readability, the spoken word has been slightly changed and shortened.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

What sickens me is that the SPD once again repeats the patterns of a crime Germans have committed against the Ukraine already in the past.

Thank God I am no nationalistically - and no more patriotically - feeling man, else I would need to sink into the ground in shame over this country.