View Single Post
Old 05-24-22, 02:30 PM   #4201
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Poland has sent a “very large number” of tanks to Ukraine, the Polish President Andrzej Duda says.

During the World Economic Forum in Davos, Duda said the transfer had reduced Poland’s defence capabilities.

"We are counting on the support of the community, which is Nato, and we are counting on the support of the USA and also Germany,” he said.

In April, Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki admitted for the first time that Poland had sent tanks to Ukraine.

No details have been released, but media reports suggest they have been supplying Soviet-era T-72 tanks.

President Duda said the Polish army was now using a lot of German Leopard 2 tanks.

"If we were supported by our German allies with a batch of tanks that would replace the ones we gave to Ukraine, we would be very grateful. We had such a promise, we hear that Germany is not willing to fulfil this promise, that’s a big disappointment for us," he said.
That seems to be just half of the truth, I meanwhile learned from severla media reports some days ago. The Germans say they had offered the Polish Leopard tanks, of older versions, I assume A4 and A5 versions. But these apparently were not good enough for the Polish, and they refused them, demanding to get delivered the latest of the latest version fresh from factory - tanks that even the Bundeswehr has not been delivered so far.

For free.

Thats what I would call a superb upgrade program. Trade old T-72 for new Leo2-A7s or newer, and for free.

I hack away at the Germans a lot, but here it seems it is the Polish deserving a kick in the lower rear.

Even an older Leo2A4 is an excellent upgrade over a T-72M1D. Mobility, firing precision, crew security and vision/sights do not compare.