View Single Post
Old 05-06-22, 11:19 AM   #22
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yeah, I understand, Jason. You have to be in the right place for it.

My history of making models started when I was a kid, I guess 10 yrs old maybe? I did not know about painting models at first, then I tried to paint them with a brush, you can imagine what it looked like. I remember several models making it to some stage of completion, Superman breaking through a brick wall, Batman swinging by an old tree, and of course, the starship Enterprise. I did not have anyone around to learn from, so it was pretty bad, I imagine. I remember having constant problems with too much glue, strings of it everywhere, decals tearing, glue fingerprints, etc. When I was 12 I got my first motorcycle and that was then end of phase I.

Phase two occurred somewhere around my 40s, I think. I built 3 or 4 models but I was not in the right mindset, not patient enough, and when things went wrong, I would get frustrated. I graduated to spray cans, using putty and sandpaper, and Model Master cement with the metal needle, which I thought was the bomb. I completed a Type VII which came out ok, I still have that one.

Now I am retired and certainly have time, so I piddle with several hobbies now, including the MC riding. I have gotten myself in a more relaxed, less neurotic mindset... if I screw up a model, it's ok, I'll just buy another and start over. Plus I accept I need to build more than 1 or 2 to get practiced and skillful enough to produce what I think are acceptable models.

Hopefully I will get better, I am close to being happy with where I am.