View Single Post
Old 03-22-22, 07:26 PM   #272
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Don’t mean to derail or hijack a thread it’s just that it brings to mind a story how these beautiful creatures got their names as told by Mark Twain in his book The Diaries Of Adam & Eve

Quote:

WEDNESDAY

Eve

We are getting along very well indeed now and getting better and better acquainted. He does not try to avoid me anymore, which is a good sign, and shows that he likes to have me with him. That pleases me, and I study to be useful to him in every way I can, so as to increase his regard.

During the last day or two, I have taken all the work of naming things off his hands; and this has been a great relief to him, for he has no gift in that line and is evidently very grateful. He can’t think of a rational name to save him, but I do not let him see that I am aware of his defect. Whenever a new creature comes along , I name it before he has time to expose himself by an awkward silence. In this way I have saved him many embarrassments.

I have no defect like his. The minute I set eyes on an animal, I know what it is. I don’t have to reflect a moment; the right name comes out instantly, just as if it were an inspiration, as no doubt it is, for I am sure it wasn’t in me half a minute before. I seem to know just by the shape of the creature and the way it acts what animal it is.

When the Dodo came along, he thought it was a wildcat - I saw it in his eye. But I saved him. And I was careful not to do it in a way that would hurt his pride. I just spoke up in a quite natural way of pleased surprise, and not as if I was dreaming of conveying information, and said: “Well, I do declare, if there isn’t the Dodo!” I explained - without seeming to be explaining - how I knew it for a Dodo; and although I thought maybe he was a little piqued that I knew the creature when he didn’t, it was quite evident that he admired me. That was very agreeable, and I thought of it more than once with gratification before I slept. How little a thing can make us happy when we feel we earned it.

————

TUESDAY

Adam

I get no chance to name anything myself. The new creature names everything that comes along before I can get in a protest. And always the same pretext is offered - it looks like the thing. There is the Dodo for instance. Says the moment the one looks at it, one sees at a glance that it “looks like a Dodo.” It will have to keep that name, no doubt. It wearies me to fret about it, and it does no good anyway. Dodo! It looks no more like a Dodo than I do.
It’s too bad Mark Twain didn’t get to experience the age of automobiles and women drivers. nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-23-22 at 02:09 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote