View Single Post
Old 03-13-22, 02:15 PM   #32
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
INEVITABLE FALLOUT: That old gent who wrote his PhD on the foxtrot! was a second father to me. I was his go-to guy: front line or goalie as needed incl. liming the the field for games. Unfortunately, he died during the summer on a architecture trip to Italy twixt my junior and senior year; costing me the expected A-team goaltender position. The new coach, a braggart Norwegian national team import, was a jerk and brought in a basket-baller who proceeded to have a miserable season. So I simply practised soccer, which allowed the team to hold full-game practises; but played both fall and spring Rugby senior year on the weekends all over the midwest incl tournements; which pißed off the Norge coach who wasn't using me anyway primarily 'cause I was having too much fun for the imported English professor, (actually from Rugby, England); who'd introduced the club-sport my freshman year-incl. my liming the pitch, and procuring the postgame Hamm's kegs!?? My soccer teammates understood I'd been deprived after 3 years as B team goalie/A team inside, never missing a practice in 4 years; and demanded the athletic dept award me a letter which it did...the petty politics I tells ya! 4 of them later joined me on the Spring season pitch, giving Rugby a tryout!

I'm very sorry for your loss. Great coaches / teachers / mentors have impacts that lasts a lifetime. I have had a few that i have lost. It sounds like you have had great times and have great memories with your former team mates.
I have my souvenirs from my playing days in the form of many aches and pains, something you pointed out earlier. My knees and ankles are prone to changes in the weather and just ache. I see at least one knee replacement in my future.

By the way, You're a good sport. I knew when I cast a bit of " shade " your way, that it would be taken in the fun loving way I meant it. I would expect nothing less of a sea faring, hockey loving, truck driving, former Rugby rogue. It's always great fun when you can " needle " another member here who has a great sense of humor. Of course, we have many other members here with a great sense of humor as well. It makes Subsim fun and helps to give Subsim the friendly and awesome reputation it currently enjoys.

I Hope you had a great birthday yesterday with your family and friends.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote