View Single Post
Old 02-01-22, 05:39 PM   #462
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Prior, was the previous patrol, possibly September 1943.
Yes, I have the USS Balao. I went 610 and at silent running, 1 knot. The ship began to drop sloooowwwwlllyyyyy and i noticed the depth...

Ah, figured it was prior.

lol Yes, something the devs screwed up with in SH 4, subs performance below 600 feet (actual things seem to get weird at 597) is horrid. Without excessive speed, boat will not maintain depth, will sink to crush depth and rarely will stay at depth set, notice is hit the A key to stop at 650, will still drift on to 670+ , unless have a absurd amount of speed. This of course, runs batteries down quickly, makes excessive noise (game does not simulate lack of cavitation at those depths, unfortunately) , which takes away one of the major advantages of the Balao, ability to go to such such depths. I've considered altering AI sensors so they are not as effective at those depth. Japanese sonar/sound gear, for most part was not that effective, but it may make it so easy that all a player has to do is go to a certain depth to get away.I notated during testing the various speeds required to maintain depth for Balao and Tench (only subs that can get beyond 600 ft) , Ill search my pc, should still have the spreadsheet, and will share it here or PM to you.

Interesting story from the war about a Balao at 650 ft , is that of the BILLFISH. November 1943 was in Makassar Strait, severe 12 hours depth charge attack pushed her to 650 feet. Captain "lost it" , went manic, was relieved and went to his cabin. The XO, a LT Rush, took command. Japanese kept on them, eventually realized they were leaking oil and japanese were using the oil trail to assist in tracking them, so they reversed course to confuse their pursuer. Of course, they still had to have some useful info from sonar and hydrophones to continue pursuit and come so close with depth charges. Another reason do not want to nerf the sensors when it comes to that depth.

Chief Electrician's Mate John D. Rendernick took action and led emergency repairs, which included using a hydraulic jack to reposition port main motor, which had been knocked off its foundation, also filled a leaking stern torpedo tube with grease.

They managed to get home and before port, Officers and the CO made a agreement, that if he resigned command and transferred out of submarines, they would not report his "episode" when under attack, saving him embarrassment, and the Captain did just that.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote