Old 01-28-22, 09:09 AM   #444
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Decks awash, tactic was used more often when rescuing people from water, deploying rafts with troops, supplies, approaching shore to reduce visibility etc.

I did make a little mod where when hit the "radar depth" key, boat floods down to 26-27 feet (Depending on class of boat), may include it in next release.

Overall, would not use tactic in combat unless must and not necessary to pull off night surface attacks given the changes in the TMO Update.
I'd say, definitely include that in the next release... since there are objectives missions of import, on rescues, agent/troop insert, supply drops, pickup missions, & having that ability to go decks awash... would be a nice thing to have handy.

Yeah, the U-boats did use a more decks awash approach, but... given the nature of the beast & the why's & where fore's for their using that tactic more so, than the U.S. counterparts did.... understandable, when they were literally getting their aft sides handed back to them, with an attrition rate of 3 of 4 not coming back... which climbed to those rates... the later 1/2 to 1/3 of the war.

M. M.

p.s. On the tactic's of night surfaced attacking... haven't really dove much into testing that capability, near as much as I'd like to or should. Still more used to the mind set of U-boat attacking... well... given the more push to U-boats with the entirety of the SH lineup. That & given 4's more.. versatile capability... to skipper an I class in the IJN (not entirely a complete set up, as yet... mind ya. ) to a T class sub skipper, in the Med.... to a soviet skipper... well... at any rate, testing I have had on that... was good... Know that on a merchie... was able to get within... 5-600 yards off their side, before I opened up... that was a solo by the way... & got close in, undetected. Of course... detected, after I opened up on them, from literal point blank range. Dark night, little to no fog, no rain... looked about to see the moon & wasn't one I could see in sight... Oh, & it wasn't stationary, it was chugging along at about... 4-6 knots... along the coast. Think I was around Formosa (Taiwan, nowadays, I believe...) either there.. or Hainan... somewhere in that general vicinity. Orders I had, was to scout out a port & await further orders, as I recall & was early on, like mid late Dec. of '41... maybe 1st week of Jan. '42. ported out of Manilla... which, got messaging that it had been abandoned & to return to Surabaya at patrols end.

1 question though... do the settings have to be so dark, as you can't even see details on the crewman, standing right there, practically on top of you... just curious... way it seems to Me, is like watching a light box puppet show, no details to the character... just a flat black cutout that you can tell is supposed to be a person, but that's it. That even includes the boat itself...as I said... just wondering about that.

Have been out in the country, away from city lights... & on a moonless night, it's dark, but after a bit... after the eyes adjust, can make out some details on things around about 6' from you... but much past that, details tend to get a bit... washed out, so that you can tell what something is by the general shape... but not see finer detail's to them.

Talking a country guy here... grew up in a rinky town, that if ya blinked, you'd miss it... it was that small.

That said, haven't really been out on the ocean, so no experience on how it'd be there... can just go on what I do know... for what it's worth.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 01-29-22 at 07:43 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote