View Single Post
Old 01-05-22, 07:52 AM   #891
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
For curiosity: does "high beam" refer to roof-mounted additional lights, or is it refering to ordinary headlights mounted in or at height of the bumpers that in every sort of car can be switched to a brighter mode and in German would be called ordinary "Fernlicht"?

Dictionary fails me.

Ordinary "Fernlicht" use is regulated in Germay pretty much the same way as described above for the US. Probbaly the same way in any Wetsenr country, I suppose.

I sometimes curse when bicycles meet me during rides in darkness with new superbright LED front lights - and have them not correctly callibrated to slightly point down, but horizontally or even upwards, into the face. Its insane how these can blind you as well nowadays. Its nerve-killing how stupid some people are... Best is that way they do not see the road ahead themselves - all that expensive light power - in vain!
In the U.S, " high beams " here refer to basic headlights with a secondary filament or projector that is aimed higher and usually, a higher wattage. "
The roof mounted lights are usually for " off roading " and not legal for street use.

Usually, new cars and most trucks have " driving lights " mounted in the grille. They can also be the " fog lights " variety.

We just refer to them as auxiliary lighting.

In den USA bezieht sich "Fernlicht" hier auf grundlegende Scheinwerfer mit einem sekundären Glühfaden oder Projektor, der höher und normalerweise eine höhere Wattleistung hat. "Die Aufdachleuchten sind in der Regel für den "Offroad-Betrieb" und nicht für den Straßeneinsatz zugelassen. Normalerweise haben neue Autos und die meisten Lastwagen "Fahrlichter" im Kühlergrill montiert. Sie können auch die Sorte "Nebelscheinwerfer" sein. Wir bezeichnen sie nur als Hilfsbeleuchtung.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote