View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 05:23 PM   #888
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Ahh my bad; the use of high-beams is governed by politeness more than law, which there are. Bearing in mind that a semi's headlights are higher than a auto's, avoiding blinding any oncoming driver or glaring some poor low car driver from the rear by his (three) mirrors is to be avoided. If there was no traffic on the long frigid sub-zero I-80 stretches across Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and Nebraska, where the lead driver does the driving instead of the newby codriver, just outta truck-school, the highbeams are very useful for catching retina reflections of bison, elk, moose, loose cattle, mustangs, antelope and deer-literallly in the headlights...in time to blast the air-horn to prompt them off the asphalt. 1200 lb.+ Moose hits are particularly bad on aluminum Freightliners at 70 mph...no 55 'bout it! Squirrels, raccoons, possums, rabbits, prairie dogs, feral cats, coyotes, armadillos,...and one sheepdog & a woodchuck are MINCE meat without an 80,000 lb. swerve's reprieve!
Thank you again and not to forget Commander Wallace for your answer on high beams and other lights on a truck.

So from now on no more high beams on my American trucks, when driving on the freeway. Otherwise I'll use it on ordinary roads and turn it off when meeting other traffic.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote