View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 07:22 PM   #3990
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

@ Rock Storm: Sounds like you are having fun! Continue skipper!

@ Jeff-Groves: Yes, menu_1024_768.ini, and I am tempted to attempt to add a scroll gutter, but... there is probably a reason they left that off. Only one way to find out though! lol - The Stock game uses very generic mission orders, that might be four lines long. With the copies of RL orders I have, a person would need a notepad, legal-sized, to hold the orders and charts they carried, sometimes in sealed envelopes "Not to be opened until on-site", initially with only a "lat/long" location to go to. The Narwhal and Nautilus were often tasked with 3 and 4 objectives, half of which might be cancelled enroute, and replaced with other objective locations, due to countering Japanese movements, or the capture of guerrilla groups. We're trying to get as much "authenticity" in to that roughly 850 characters the game allows. But the limit on characters does not appear to be set in stone, and is a function, as you say, of the "window" size for the "paper", and is a combination of lines, words, characters & line breaks (my opinion). As in an earlier post, if I put one character and a carriage return (using the keyboard) on each of 20 lines, they all display fine. I can add more characters to each line, but when I hit roughly 742 characters, I have to drop a line. That trend continues all of the way up the page. The more characters, the fewer lines allowed. It seems the more you fill a line with up to 60 characters, the fewer lines allowed, but as I mentioned, I did have a "short" orders text that bombed, most likely due to my use of double "pipes" for a forced carriage return to separate sections of text for Objectives A, B & C. The game did not like that. Removed 2 characters, and it was fine. When I removed the double "pipes" and went with singles separating the sections, it was fine. My guess is that the "pipe" character is worth the whole line of 60 characters. There is no other explanation - in my mind. anyway... strange stuff, this game...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote