View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 03:11 PM   #3987
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Does the character limit in missions include all sections such as objectives, messages triggered etc or just the mission briefing? as in say 1000 characters for all of them combined or ?
Mostly... The Objective synopsis seem to be limited to two lines each, but thus far, I have not hit a limit on the number of Objectives. That page scrolls. The same with the photo missions "Photos" page. It scrolls fine and can hold at least twelve pictures. I try to keep all "labels" as one word, maybe using an underscore for separation. I don't trust the game to misinterpret a "space" in a name. But near as I can tell, you are only limited in the mission orders, and only as they display when you are in the Captain's Office at home port, getting ready to go on patrol, since that page does NOT have a scroll gutter. It makes it a bit tough on the Narwhal / Nautilus missions that often had three initial objectives on their orders, oftentimes rather complex in nature. What I have done with several missions is break the orders into two parts, with an overview in the office orders, and then use the Timer with a few minutes or couple of hours max set to display some details via a radio message. The radio message page can scroll, and is better for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
"until I can figure-out a 010 script to do my character, word, and line counting for me recursively"

Do you mean to have 010 scan and check all the files and report or 1 file at time not auto changing folders?
Yes, exactly. I also have a time of it doing "calculations" with what I have found... the logic of trying to figure-out which words will be on the next line is giving me a headache. It's been entirely too long since my C days... sorry, bad pun... Anyway, it might be easier if I used VB to build a small app, since I do know how to recursively open files there, and I am more familiar with string functions and RegEx there... I just need a running character counter per line, a running line count and something to throw an error with flashing lights and sirens when several set conditions are hit, such as 20 lines of text, or over 848 characters. I also want it to throw a "Danger Will Robinson" warning when 17 lines of text are hit, or 840 characters used. Nothin' to it. It sure would have been nice of Ubisoft to supply some documentation on this type of stuff...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote