View Single Post
Old 12-02-21, 09:32 AM   #164
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
First thing that came into my mind when I read about these 'Carrier-Killer' Missiles was-defence.

What kind of defence can "kill" these 'Carrier-Killer' Missiles ?

Another thought what would the reply be if China sink 1 or 2 American Carrier in a war ?

Markus

Anti-m,issile system work unreliably at beast, and it is easier to overflood a missile defence system than to successfully knockout all vampyres in a swarm.

Against hypsersonic missiles there is currently no defence worth to be claled that.

For the Chinese its all about either knocking the carrier battle groups out, or to keep them so far away that their air threat is no threat anymore. We are talking about a naval war in the vicinit yof the Chinese coat and its air and landabses and harbours. Access to this battleground is what the Chinese want to deny (="access denial"). Their chances are good in achieving that.

IMO carriers are greta in wars aginst inferior enemies of the present. Against an enemy of same technical eye level, they are an outdated stratgey, imo. The military is ver yprone to assume the thignbs that let it win the last war will be the same things that makes it win the next war. But carrier beat battleships. Submarines beat carriers. I likely scenairo to me would be that the US carrier groups are being kept away or are beign knocked out quickly, and the decision at sea then is made amongst both sides submarines. The Australian decision may relfect that.

But many variables in calculating the likely scenairo for that war. It might also go very differently. Almost certain, imho, only is that it will happen. And nthat it will include space and cyberspace warfare. I wonder what combat valkue the American militrary structure has if its most favourite toy - intel satellites and superior communications - gets taken out? Many things, especially in global military logistics, then would collapse. And as Napoleon and many others said over all times of history: its the logistics that decide wars. The US is world champion in doing global military logistics, bu the system is frgaile and vulnerable, sicne it is so widespread and scattered. The chinese fight in the vicinity of their homeland and its protective bases. Big advantage.

The future speaks "autonomous AI", both in the air and under the sea.