View Single Post
Old 09-24-21, 08:15 AM   #5101
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
lol yes, have to be careful, some islands only show up if zoomed in. When I first started running SH 4 way back had it happen and learned. Last time did this was when first started running TMO with the nav map makeover mod, which I believe added some small islands in the Borneo, Singapore, Java Sea areas. I was cruising along at night and time compression dropped . I went to bridge and in darkness could see something, I surmised land so went back emergency, still ran aground but was able to back off thanks to the reduced speed at impact. Little tiny island in the Karimata Straits area.

Thing is this happened more than a few times in WW II to US subs, S-39 comes to mind. Then you have the Darter which run aground on bombay shoals in South China Sea in October 44 while pursuing a damaged heavy cruiser, she was stuck and had to be abandoned, scuttled.
Well S-27 in real life also ran aground though it waited until it was in Alaska to do it, I think when this happened to me it was still December of 41.