View Single Post
Old 08-25-21, 10:37 AM   #8
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I've not seen a jetpack, nor had any mention of it that I recall. Maybe I'll stumble on it and avoid spoilers for now. I'm level 23 now.

I appreciate the mod advice, but so far I'm unmodded. Frankly, I need to play a game for a while to know what I might like to change. No mods for modding's sake. FO4 isn't the most stable game I've played, it's crashed a few times already, usually when fast traveling, and adding mods won't do anything to reduce this. There are a few I will probably install at some point, but at 50 hours in I'm not feeling compelled to do so yet.

I'm having a good time with this game. It had been years since I had played a Fallout game and it's cool to do it again. So many neat touches that appeal to me.

I got ballistic weave after reading about it on the 'net. I probably wouldn't have done so otherwise. That is a big boost to armour rating.

On a different forum I talked about how I regretted my initial build, the way I spent my SPECIAL points. Having gotten in to the game it became clear how I should have done it. Anyway, this is what I wrote there and just adding it here

If I were to do it over this is how I would have spent my initial SPECIAL points. Since levels have no cap, and points and perks are not limited (until you run out of perks), it isn't that big of a deal. But if I had paid more attention, and knew what I know now, this is how I would have gone at the start.

Strength (3) -- To get to the Armorer perk. Not too concerned with melee, and while additional carry capacity is worthwhile, each SPECIAL point only raises the capacity by 10, which isn't worth a point to me.

Perception (4) -- To get the Locksmith perk, which is very useful. Five points would get Demolition Expert, and that was my plan. But I hadn't realized you cannot throw grenades in VATS any longer, which sucks, and so I'd keep it at 4. This affects VATS accuracy too though. Then again, with better shooting mechanics in FO4 VATS is not so crucial any more.

Endurance (1) -- Dump stat. The perks in this tree are mostly centered around survival, damage resistance, chems and so on. Useful, but for me the least important tree and points are better spent elsewhere.

Charisma (4) -- The target is Local Leader at level 6, but not needed right away, and the first You're Special can be spent to raise it to 5. Then train, find another book or find the bobblehead to get to 6 to get Local Leader, which networks your settlements and allows higher-tier buildings. Can be ignored if you ignore the settlement side to the game. But if you don't you'll want the Local Leader perk.

Intelligence (4) -- To get to Hacker. I made the mistake of sinking 7 points in to INT, because I thought that was a good idea to get more XP. But with the Idiot Savant perk (Luck tree) this really wasn't necessary, and I don't care about the level 5, 6 and 7 perks (Scrapper, Science, Chemist). This would have given me three points back. This decision nags at me. It's the sort of thing that usually makes me start over eventually. But since points are unlimited in FO4 I'll stay the course and can correct this over time.

Agility (5) -- To get to Action Boy. VATS is less vital for me in FO4, but it's still fun to use and can be a life saver in tight situations against mobs. 3 points to get to Sneak is bare minimum. Sneak is very powerful in Fallout.

Luck (7) -- To get to Critical Banker. Aside from Bloody Mess (level 3) I like every perk in this tree and if I were to eventually max one out it will be Luck.