Old 06-16-21, 03:25 AM   #3
Hebe Vollmaus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

I try to split this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMyBell View Post
I am having great fun playing a 1942 career with the 11th Flotilla in Bergen. I'm curious as to how the game generates large PQ convoys for me to attack. Are they all pre-scripted?
Yes. All Ships are scripted. The Game uses a great amount of randomisation.
But also this random is relayed on scripting. For example You may be attacked by Air-Groups, but this would not happen when no Airbases are scripted in.

Quote:
Or is there some randomness to convoy generation
No and Yes.
No - since the randomness comes from the scripting.

Yes - If its scripted - there is randomness in Convoy generation. Funny heh?

Over scripting you tell the game if a ship may appear or not by a Percent amount. The game decides on this percent if the Ship will appear or not. So is in some way random. This is scripted in a special file for Random (RND) named "Campaign_RND.mis".

There is also *_SCR.mis and *_LND.mis for (SCR) Scriped- and (LND) for Land-units.

Please open these files with the Sh3MissionEditor (ME) to see for yourself.
But Do Not change these files!

Quote:
(i.e., time and location of appearance, specific route, speed, ship composition, etc.)?
Randomness in time, location, appearance, route - all only if scripted.
Speed - not random, is always scripted.
Ship composition - also in some way random. The game decides itself when (Dates) some from user scripted Equipment will be shown!

What exactly is etc?

Quote:
A related question: Is it possible for a player to manually edit one of the game's files to increase the number of convoys produced? And if so, is there any reason that would be a bad idea?
Thanks!
P.S. My manual torpedo targeting accuracy has much improved thanks to tips I received on this forum a few weeks ago. Thanks, mates!
Yes. The Devellopers have put the Sh3MissionEditor.exe among the files in the main-directory of SH3.

There are always reasons for and against something.
Against - for example, someone has put some brain into the composition of the (SH3 game or a used Mod) released Convoys.
For - The game is made in a way that it is (more or less) easy to modify almost everything in the game.

Please - Never ever change files directly in your SH3-installation.
Always use JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) for any changes!

Greetings.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote