View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 05:24 AM   #7872
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Been wanting to note this for a bit, but real life has a bad habit of cutting into my 'me' time...

For a lot of us guitarists who came up as beginners in the 60s, we cut our teeth (and fingers) in learning guitar by trying to replicate guitar solos we heard on radio and records (the younger ones can ask their grandparents) and there really wasn't a whole lot of complexity in playing until the Beatles came along, among others, so we made do with the usual Top 40 offerings, one of which was the legendary song Louie, Louie by the Kingsmen, recorded in 1963; the lead guitar solo launched many a young lad on the road to guitar playing and stands as one of the sloppiest, but most often imitated, guitar solos ever; to be fair, the band didn't know they were being recorded, thinking they were just doing a practice run, and, it is widely rumored were more than a bit intoxicated; since they only had limited funds for their recording session, they opted not to re-record and kept the first take; just this past April 16, 2021, Mike Mitchell, the lead guitarist for the Kingsmen, whose sloppy solo launched thousands, if not millions, of aspiring guitarists, passed away at the age of 77 years...

As one of those teenage kids who labored on a cheap guitar to copy your licks, I want to to thank you, Mike Mitchell, for giving those of us a foot up on lifetimes of musical enjoyment; rest in peace and , again, thank you...

...and, now, for all you cowbell lovers out there, here, on our really big shew (ask your grandparents), are the Chamber Brothers...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 05-07-21 at 08:53 AM.