View Single Post
Old 03-13-21, 06:35 AM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 View Post
I read a report recently, showing that 30m freak/rogue waves are incredibly common, and where 1 might be survivable, they can come in 2s or 3s, which will pretty much destroy whatever tries to pass over/through.

Not only waves, but also random 30m deep holes/troughs too.
Yes; that is exactly what happened in a book I read this week called "Dark Noon":

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Noon-Tom...2RBPWEDR431J9G

I'd never heard of this disaster before but it was much deadlier than other, more famous shipwrecks - almost 50 people died when the fishing boat "Pelican" got hit by two rogue waves in 1951. The "Pelican" was overcrowded & many of the people on board were kids or elderly.... When they went in the water they had no chance. Not to diminish anyone's tragedy, but it's strange how other less deadly wrecks like the "Andrea Gail" or "Edmund Fitzgerald" are well-known, but this sinking with about 50 deaths has been completely forgotten.

Great read, by the way - the rescue operation was incredible; they actually had to STAB the survivors with gaff hooks to rescue them, the way you would pull aboard a big Marlin or shark. And one woman who was like 5'1 and 100 lbs became a heroine by pulling two men out of the Atlantic with her bare hands - even though they were twice her size.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote