Old 03-02-21, 10:39 PM   #2817
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

You fellers must have been posting while I was replying earlier... Anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustwantrisingsun View Post
Just wanted to say, love the mod, just wondering if there are any plans to rework AI submarines; it seems they are just destroyer AI with a new coat of paint, which gets slightly comical when you have to use more than 1 torpedo on a barely 2,000 ton sub, or running across a midget sub in the middle of the Sea of Japan that suddenly begins chasing you down with active sonar....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
doing 23 kts!
Well, the Ko Hyoteki could do 19 knots, as could the Sen Taka. Imagine chasing one of those with an Everts...

The AI Subs are basically "destroyers". That is all the game allows. We wanted them to be more than "docile", which is all they are in Stock. There are submerged submarines available in the game, but we felt that wouldn't be "sporting" to have any of them active, and to let a player make the choice with an add-in mod later in the mod cycle. As for the active sonar, we hadn't even noticed that yet, but that will "die". We'll keep their hydrophone, so they can track you. Remember though, submarines shoot torpedoes! The sub damage models have been worked on multiple times, and since they are formerly player-controlled subs, they are still a bit on the strong side, but remember, subs did have water-tight compartmentalization, especially when at Battle Stations - well, except the Ko Hyoteki... might be a bit difficult to do that with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
... Here's the strange part. Other than routine air patrols at various times daily from both NNW and SSE, I saw nothing for the next 2 months! Not one ship of either navy. I saw Henderson Field open up on September 12, and the base at Tulagi open on October 15. Otherwise, nothing. No ships, just planes...
I'll do me some tests off Guadalcanal in a few days. In the meantime, you should see regular runs of what the US called "The Cactus Express", aka: "The Tokyo Express", and what the IJN referred to as "Rat Transportation", running between Truk/Rabaul and the Shortlands, and then between there and Cape Esperence at the least, and sometimes down further, with occasional forays into Henderson Field bombardments. You should also see the major battle runs from both sides, though they never repeat the same way twice... I doubt if the Tulagi BooBoo has anything to do with the TaskForce, Solomons & other layers failing to run... Did you Save and exit anytime while in there?

Edit: I should qualify that torpedobait, with a "between late August 1942 and late December 1942 for the Tokyo Express, but throughout the Campaign for the Task Forces...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-03-21 at 01:14 AM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote