View Single Post
Old 02-13-21, 09:29 AM   #13654
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm501 View Post
Here one idea on how NDB arrival to port could be implemented. The key would be to install NDB's at visually distinctable objects, so you can visually confirm that you have sailed to the correct NDB.
Cool, but those are not radio beacons. They are visual (light) beacons, and they are already implemented in game, though, as I said, lighthouses might be better implemented.

Talking in general, the main limits of visual beacons in game are two:

a) they are a bit unrealistic since, as I already noted, most lighthouses within German and British territories were darkened during the war.

b) they have a maximum theoretical visual range equal to game's rendering range (20 km in stock game).

Conversely, radio beacon signals can be intercepted from a much longer distance. But again, only the closest beacon is reported by the radio operator, so they can't be used in groups the same way as visual beacons. I am confident that each individual NDB can be identified, in game as in reality, by means of a three-letter code or for its time of emission, but let's wait for Vecko's feedback on this point
gap is offline   Reply With Quote