View Single Post
Old 02-08-21, 10:52 AM   #13651
Storm501
Seaman

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Not possible using your radio beacons, but very possible if landmarks/daymarks are placed around SH5's coasts, and their exact position is marked on map.

Of course, that would only help in daytime and in clear weather. When visibility is low, lighthouses would be of more help. During WWII the Germans blacked out lighthouses in their territory. Nonetheless I know for sure that, in occupied France, "landing" lighthouses close to ports were illuminated (and then immediately switched off again) when Axis shipping was in bound. I don't know if U-boats would have qualified for this additional help, anyway stock lighthouses illuminated by TDW are of little help for two reasons:

- they all have the same appearance and they emit the same light, so distinguishing one frome the other is difficult;

- their position is not clearly marked on the nav map.

As we already agreed, in your implementation of radio beacons there is no use in having more than one antenna per base. If the antenna of the port we are currently approaching was destroyed (which is a pretty cool feature by the way ), and our RDF device detects another signal further away, we will notice the mistake immediately after taking the second bearing, because it will be so close to 90 deg that, for it to apply to the closer (but destroyed) antenna, we should be much farther from our port than our navigator's position fix is telling us

For the reasons I explained above, my vote goes to beacons emitting only few hours per day and range data not being available to the player but, if possible, I would limit the range of each antenna so that they don't overlap with each other and we avoid confusion
I would like to offer ideas to the NDBs (non-directional radio beacons). I have experience with them in aviation, not naval.
In real life you can hear their 2-3 letter ID, so that way you know which is Brest and which is Lorient. Also to crude extent you can estimate are you at short/long range by signal clarity/strenght.
If they emit only few hours a day, can this be invididual to each beacon? If Brest would emit 14-15z and Lorient 15-16z, that way we could ID them.
If the above is not possible, I would argue that range information, although unrealistic, is necessary to balance the lack of other possibilities as invididual ID cannot be simulated in the game.

Adding more lighthouses to the game would be awesome. Especially if they could have own light morse code or specific times of the day when the light appears. Even if this is not possible, lighthouses or landmarks would be beneficial. Displaying them on the navmap - Not a problem. Just make PDF of locations and players can draw the relevant ones themselves.
Storm501 is offline   Reply With Quote