Old 01-15-21, 07:40 PM   #2
Nikdunaev
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Sorry for the late reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Plotting was done on what was called millimeter paper, which is like graph paper on steroids.
Simple millimeter paper and no proper rangefinding device? Sounds like a big "ouch" to me.

Quote:
Probably not. U-Jagd means the hunting of subs, ASW. That watch was actually used by German ASW to plan depth charge approaches. Now, it just so happens that it is handy to use for this method, because the principles are the same, distance traveled over time. They had tables to help with this, but may have also used some form of stopwatch, there is reference made to that in at least one source.
U-Jagd is not a purpose made tool? Oh...
I honestly thought it was designed for this specific purpose. Those scales look very much like reasonable ship lengths and speeds...

What is the use for depth charging purposes? What do the scales represent in that case?

I am no expert in German, but the name, does it not stand for "unterwasser jagd" or "unterseeboot jagd"? Submarine hunting. Does it actually say if the hunting in question is for or by the submarine itself? I am curious.

By this point I am afraid to ask further. Does the Silent Hunter community actually use any historical tool correctly?

Quote:
The reticle was designed for 1.5x. In game you can multiply by 4 in 6x but IRL this was more complicated due to nuances in the optics. Rangefinding at 1.5x only was recommended.
Was it any different from the US optics?
Cause for the latter, as far as I know, multiply or divide by four was the "officially endorsed" method in real life. Both for the stadimeter and the telemeter scales.

The optical zoom, does it not change the angular field of view by that factor? 4 times in our specific case?
Nikdunaev is offline   Reply With Quote