View Single Post
Old 12-26-20, 06:14 PM   #2403
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Yep, that was it! My first ship a NAZI! Excellent! I couldn't make out the flag, it was very, very dark. It was travelling in the company of a single Jap Maru, warship leading the way. Wonder where she was going?
There were diplomatic exchanges - surprisingly after the Pearl Harbor raid, mostly because the Japanese had not trusted the Germans (and vice versa), and had not divulged their plans. So it was after that when they finally got around to actually trying to do "cooperation" between themselves, such as it was. There was no real attempt to exchange war ideas or plans prior to that. So the Yanagi missions didn't start until the only mode of transportation left was the submarines. Even the first Yanagi mission in April of 1942 to until August to arrive in Lorient... guess they thought they had all of the time in the world... Here's the thing about those auxilary cruisers - most of them were short-lived... quoting wikipedia about Thor:
"Thor reached Yokohama on 9 October 1942 where she began refitting for a third voyage. However, on 30 November a series of explosions on the supply ship Uckermark destroyed her superstructure, sending a large amount of burning debris onto Thor, which was moored alongside.[8] Both ships were rapidly set ablaze, along with Nankin/Leuthen and the Japanese freighter Unkai Maru. All four ships were destroyed in the fire, and 12 of Thor's crew were killed. Thor was wrecked beyond repair and was abandoned. Her captain, Kapitän zur See Gumprich, later commanded the German auxiliary cruiser Michel on her second raiding voyage, from which he did not return.

A number of survivors of the ship were sent to France on the blockade runner Doggerbank and killed when the ship was mistakenly sunk by U-43 on 3 March 1943 with all but one of her 365 crew lost.
"
So even once you got off of one, and on to another, it was not good for the ship's hands...
"Almost within sight of Japan and only 50 miles (80 km) out from port,[3] Michel was spotted by the US submarine Tarpon on 20 October 1943.[4] In one of the few instances of American submarines attacking a German ship during World War II, Tarpon fired a total of eight torpedoes in four successive strikes, of which four torpedoes struck home and also detonated[4] - the Mark 14 torpedo still had reliability problems.[5] Michel sank, taking down 290 of her crew, including the captain. The 116 survivors reached safety in Japan after a three-day journey in open boats. Scores of others had been left on rafts and floating wreckage, but the Japanese Navy search aircraft reported they had seen nothing. This caused some friction with the German Navy officers in Japan, who felt the Japanese seemed unconcerned about rescuing possible German survivors.[6] The loss of the Michel marked the end of the cruises of German auxiliary commerce raiders."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
You shouldn't use any traffic mods that are not FOTRSU 1.39 compatible as there has been some convoy and merchant changes which could mess up your game saves.
It just so happens that I've updated the latest FOTRSU 1.39 convoy and merchant layers and I've provided a link for any one that wants to use them. I've also added some extra convoy routes down the East side of Japan as shipping was a bit bereft of targets in my opinion.

http://www.filedropper.com/fotrsutrafficv139
It is recommended to not use any additional mods, other than Nippon Maru, of which, we know how it is built, and that it is basically FotRSU - s7rikeback plans on further documentation of such shortly. There have been changes to several ships and their calls in FotRSU (and Nippon Maru) that will CTD your game if you encounter them in anything other than FotRSU and Nippon Maru. There will be (unfortunately) at least one more change yet to make, and probably two or three. There are other changes to the menu files, and a few other places, hence the pulling of the add-in mods. Sonar Lines might be the easiest to double-check, but several of the others are quite involved.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote