Old 12-14-20, 09:44 AM   #2300
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default Confirmation and suspicions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Let me know if more details would help fix this.
2nd patrol, Tambor from Pearl started Feb. 24 1942.
Zone 4, patrol for 5 days, saved after getting in zone and also about 1 day later(saves OK)

3 days in zone, first targets A midget sub and a Sentaka-Dai Sub. sank the big one, midget acted like DD, circling etc.
Saved, didn't check save at that time, found out later that it comes up with gauges at high noon.
2 days later sank Passenger-cargo freighter, saved.
Next time I played this save and prior save came back with gauges at high noon.
previous saves OK.
Fortsu v1.26p no other mods, Win 7 64 bit. LAA.

Any comments?
I can confirm that [Saving/Closing FOTRSU/Starting FOTRSU/Loading] after sinking Warship targets resulted in the "gauges at high noon" issue. Also note that the mouse no longer controls the Sonar Sound Head in the Sonar Station even though the readout on the left side of the screen tracks the mouse.

After sinking 3 targets (2 Warships, 1 Merchant), I made several saves, each one independent of the other, as I continued to play, clearing the area. As I cleared the area on the surface at night, I frequently checked the Sonar Sound station manually sweeping with the mouse. I noticed green light sound indications to the side and behind me. I thought perhaps some ships had slipped by unnoticed so I altered course to chase them down. As I passed one of the already sunken vessel icons, the sound signal tracked behind me. I checked the bearings for the 2 other sound sources and sure enough, they pointed to the already sunken vessels.
As I continued to play (at 1X speed) for a few hours, I made several more save games enroute, each one independent of the other. I continued to track the already sunken sound sources for quite awhile as I proceeded to another destination in my Patrol Area. It was getting late in the day IRL and I saved and quit SH4.
This morning, I fired up SH4 and loaded my last save game and it came up with guages at "High Noon" and the mouse did not operate the sonar head.
I experimented quite a bit and discovered that my last GOOD save game was right before I sunk my first Jap Warship Target. I repeated this test several times. All of my save games after that point result in gauges at "High Noon".

I suspect that the fact that the sunken vessels continued to emit a sound signature may have something to do with this issue.

I will prosecute the target from my last good save game. I had a very good approach so I will be able to sink the Heavy Cruiser. After I sink the first Warship target, I will save the game and see if when I Quit/Start/Reload if it comes up with guages at 'High Noon".

On the way to my Patrol Area, I sunk a Fast Hansa Merchant Target and I had no issues with the save game following that sinking. I was not in my Patrol Area.

[EDIT] I loaded the GOOD save game I made after sinking the Fast Hansa Merchant (7590 tons). It does NOT show up in my Sonar Sound Head sweep. It is quiet where the ship has sunk. I am 9000 yards from sunken ship. I changed course and drove the boat closer and it remains quiet. I then loaded the BAD save game made after I had sunk the Heavy Cruiser Tone Class (15200 tons), Medium Modern Composite Freighter (3391 tons), Seaplane Tender Chitose Class (9000 tons), and another Medium Modern Composite Freighter (3381 tons vs 3391 tons (above) vs ONI41-42 book 3380 tons ?). There is a surviving Modern Passenger Liner (5083 tons) nearby and I am picking up Sound from the her on Sonar Sweep at the correct bearing but the mouse no longer controls Sound Head and all gauges are "High Noon". I am NOT picking up any Sound from the last two sunken ships on any bearing, they are quiet. I am within 5000 yards of their position. After loading another BAD save game, one of the sunken ships can be heard banging on the bottom? All gauges are stuck at "High Noon." I am at Full Stop. I am in excess of 1000 feet of water. I am 2000 yards from her sunken position.
Let me reiterate that at the time the save games were made I was able to detect sound from sunken ships at a great distance in excess of 10,000 yards. I am sure of this because as I was clearing the area, I picked up Sound and investigated as described above.
Right now, the only working save game I have was made prior to my encounter with Warships in my Patrol Area. ALL saves made after that initial sinking are BAD.
There are clues in here somewhere...

mikesn9, you were in your Patrol Area when you encountered this issue. In your post you mentioned that you had sunk a Jap Sub Warship. Do you remember if you checked your sound head to see if it continued to track the sunken vessel?

There are several rabbit holes to go down here...

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 12-14-20 at 11:45 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote