View Single Post
Old 12-05-20, 05:04 AM   #13516
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Try to imagine early war-time restrictions as if they were anti-covid rules. General confusion, each country issuing a set of different and partly self-contradictory rules, and private citizens applying those rules according to their own interpretation, or ignoring them at all lol.

Some important belligerents, like the USA, didn't even have city blackouts in place when U-boats started knocking at their home door, and before the Nazi occupation most French lighthouses were still operational, sic!

Some allied shipmaster deciding to keep his navigation lights on (out of recklessness or in the hope to lure the Germans into mistaking them for friends) is the least we can imagine, especially outside British waters where the U-boat war was more intense and where he would have risked not only his ship and the life to be taken by a German submarine but, I suppose, also heavy sanctions by the British Government.
Now that you mentioned it I remember that when I was editing Operation Drumbeat campaign I intentionally left American illuminated ships to be active for quite some time after the campaign start in order ti simulate "relaxed" conditions which German U-Boat commanders found on east American coast during the opening stages of OD. This can even be found somewhere in TWoS changelogs, yes...

Quote:
Ah, yes, now that you refreshed my memory I seem to remember such a nice program. I also remember another small program by another forum member used for making sure that the Windows process used by the game for campaign advance, has an high priority... Isn't that program used anymore?
No, that was different tweak discovered by Mama but it didn't prove to be quite useful...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote