View Single Post
Old 11-07-20, 03:57 PM   #2158
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
:

I have a strong love of history, especially where it pertains to WW2, though still there, just not as spry as it once was... age will do that... plus having a lot of other interests will hinder it a bit.
never confuse history with a game.

please keep in mind and never forget that this game was designed and developed to make money. it is based on historical facts but it is still entertainment.

so......how real are the bases? what were the real home port assignments? does it matter?

there is a certain logic to the game and that logic may not match up completely with the historical record.

i try to get in the flow of the game and not try and confuse it with what really happened because there is no way to replicate what really happened without actually doing it. end-of-rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

At least on the Asiatic Div 2. Take it you've done some skippering in that part of it then.?
yes, i have.
take the S-boat route and you will go from Manila to Surabaya (possibly) to Fremantle and.....if you survive long enough you will stop (briefly) at Brisbane before heading up to the Aleutians (bore-ring) and ending up at Pearl late in the war. now that i walk through this i believe that there are no missions for the S-boats that late in the war at Pearl so you are either upgraded to a more modern boat or retired.

take any other boat in the Asiatic Theatre and you will go the same route as above except you will stop at Fremantle. Most players take an upgrade at some point and there are base limitations for certain classes of subs so you end up going to Brisbane or Midway before the end of the war.

there are dozens if not hundreds of permutations depending on which boats you drive and for how long.

i think the most fun route that i have encountered is to make a career objective for yourself such as one of these, before you start, and then try to execute it:
  • command an S-boat with the same crew until retired or sunk.
  • start in an s-boat and try and make it to a Brisbane command before the end of the war.
  • start with any boat and try to command it until the end of the war.
  • start with an S-boat and see how many different classes you can command during the war.

you get the idea.

one more tip: stay away from the Tench...in any mod-set. For some reason it is buggy and if you get to that stage in the war you don't want to have to put up with CTD's.

sorry, one more tip than the previous last tip: do not accept a Balao before July 1, 1943 or a Tench before January 15, 1945 (if you decide to not heed my first warning). taking early command will not be an honor but a trip to CTD-ville.

good luck. have fun.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote