View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 01:47 PM   #1633
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
To follow up, this Kreigsmarine investigation, may I propose some new information?

It seems, whatever factory hand made these in 2007, they must had been slightly hungover or half asleep, but there is no excusing your Second Watch Officer and Chief of the Boat, they must have inspected the installation, before they left port.

I fear their heads may have been turned, by the Allies.

GE37mm_M

GE37mm_SA

GE37mm_TSA

I have contacted the arms factory, about a modification to raise the barrels, to a more level starting position.
Hi s7rikeback,

Here's the latest update on the findings and judgments rendered by the formal Court of Inquiry:

Although there was no evidence of sabotage, the Court found that the lapse was probably due to an overly liberal interpretation of the ambiguous specifications of the work order, issued for the weapon upgrade which required the heavy flag gun to be ‘securely’ mounted to the boat’s deck. Consequently, the work party made darn sure gun’s muzzle was ‘firmly’ welded onto the aft railing as well.

And considering the extensive damage to the boat from an overwhelming and relentless number of enemy aircraft, numerous injuries, and that there were no fatalities, the commander and the crew of U-196 was commended for returning the crew and boat safely to port.

Nevertheless, the former Second Watch Officer, U-196, Leutnant zur See, Friedrich Decker,

has been found guilty of dereliction of duty and hereby demoted of his rank to the rank of Fähnrich zur See (Midshipman) and reassigned as the junior laundry officer aboard the rear area supply ship, Ahnungslos (‘Clueless’).

Former Chief of the Boat, U-196, Stabsoberbootsmann, Herman Dietrich,

has also been found guilty of dereliction of duty and hereby demoted to the rank of Matrosengefreiter (Seaman 2nd class) and reassigned as a machinist mate aboard the coastal tug, Garstig Möwe (‘Nasty Gull’) responsible for towing garbage scows out into the Indian Ocean for the duration.

In a statement later issued from Naval High Command, Berlin, in response to the incident and Court of Inquiry’s ruling:

‘In any crisis, it is essential to have effective and decisive leadership to carry the day. And in the finest tradition of the Kreigsmarine, it is imperative to provide nothing less than a full and unconditional commitment to excellence. And I am confident that every crew and U-boat in our fleet will continue to do their part for the war effort. Therefore, let us endeavor to remember that it is our duty and distinction to be ever vigilant, as we continue the success in our missions . . . ’

Karl Dönitz
Grossadmiral, Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote (BdU)

----------------

So, until the next episode of Kreigsmarine, stay healthy and well!

Navelintel
Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote