View Single Post
Old 06-24-20, 03:45 PM   #1392
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
First of all, you guys do realize that most of what I post is done tic (Tongue In Cheek), right?

100% "Reliable" Saves are unfortunately not going to happen in this game. All you can do is reduce your chances of encountering them. ...
Are you writing to a fast hard drive with lots of un-fragmented space? Is the Windows cache on a different drive from the game and the Save folder? ...

First of all, with RSM, is that the Radio Station Manager? If so, it is OK. Secondly, I don't know what KGMB is, nor NewPatObjs2. Was NewPatObjs2 an interim set of files I had made? Captain Midnights CBS NEWS Sound Mod is fine, so long as you fixed the date issue in it (with RSM??)...

As for "glitches" and "slow downs" in the game, Windows does not respect the User, nor any "Legacy" apps or hardware you may have attached to your computer.

btw, "No warranty, whether real or imagined, is implied nor activated by use of FotRSU or its derivatives. The User accepts any and all harm and or damage done to their psyche, whether from loss of personal time while playing or modding, the sinking of their submarine by game assets, real or imagined, or loss of Save folder data for any reason..."

Thanks again for the reply. No worries on the tongue in cheek thing. I tend to do the same but with some of my thinner skinned friends I've taken to using humor markup language e.g. <sarcasm> and if you need to know what that is just ask an HTML programmer</sarcasm>

RSM, is the Radio Station Manager and KGMB is a radio mod (The station out of Honolulu) NewPatObjs2 is the mod that y'all told me about to fix my issue with the No Mission Objective bug,

Today I have been making sure to be surfaced at 1TC with nothing going on for at least one of my saves before exiting SH$. I'm also an inveterate "save-scummer" meaning that i sometimes have over 100 saves that I end up deleting when I stop playing some games. (I'm at over 100 now for SH4 and that's after weeding out a bunch of the oldest) It does help though if someone wants to see additional info on any problems I report.

I tried setting the replay flag and making a second copy of the same save but that doesn't seem to work... Is that correct? Not really a problem as I tend to format my savegames as Alex T. Sinkstof 1943 03 30 0000 for a save that I make where the game date and time are part of the save name. But ya know I'm curious.

As to windows not playing nice with what you're running, that's only somewhat true.
If you know which apps do what you can close a few of the more egregious ones down before starting your game, e.g. For me it's any Firefox windows (they seem to soak up memory like a sailor does rum),

also Adobe runs a lotta stuff that I generally don't need and shutting it down doesn't hurt anything (though you might have to reboot before opening any PDFs

Finally, I set everything that asks to schedule updates to do them at 3:00AM. That keeps them outta my hair at least once a week I make sure that my machine runs through the night so as to pick up any updates that way.

I also have an SSD drive as my C: drive. That's a Solid State Drive meaning almost no lag time on reads and writes, no fragmentation delays ever (as there's no seek time delays)

The Windows cache and the save files ARE on the same drive and I've toyed with the idea of moving one or the other but that can be a problem as well.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 06-24-20 at 09:56 PM.
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote