View Single Post
Old 04-20-20, 04:30 PM   #375
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I ordered another 2019 Uberti .44 Remington New Model Army percussion pistol from Dixie Gun Works a few months back. And I just got my .45 Colt conversion cylinder in for it today from Taylor & Co.. Has an 8 Inch barrel and the whole damn thing weighs something like 3.5 pounds its a heavy ol' cus.

To the right is the original percussion cylinder nipples up that you cap with primers. On the left is the new R&D Taylor & Co. .45 Colt conversion cylinder, you can see in place of the primer nipples is a ring of firing pins. Very nice fit no end shake at all and a perfect clearance between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

After the Civil War many of these Remingtons percussion cylinders were being converted to .46 cal 5 shot rimfire cartridges. The one I have though not an exact replica, the concept is the same. To load you have to remove the cylinder from the frame like Preacher did on Pale Rider. Take the firing pin cap off, load five, line up the guide pin and put the cap back on. Insert the cylinder into the frame and for safety sake CAREFULLY and GENTLY guide the hammer to rest on the empty cylinder.

The Uberti frame is proofed to C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives) max average cylinder pressures of 14,000 psi which is compulsory by law. The new cylinder is certified to SAMMI recommendations of max average of 14,000 psi cylinder pressure.

I'll be shooting as a max load a .45 colt RFNL 255 grain bullet at 860 Feet Per Second. Which on paper, will produce a chamber pressure of 12,148 PSI and 410 Foot Pound muzzle energy. That's no slouch or mouse load. But its certainly no where near what more modern plus P ammo or Magnums can do. However, the load is about spot on for what these pistols were designed to do back in the day. When it was considered throughout the 1860's and 70' the most powerful hand gun in the world.

Since the conversion cylinder is classified as a 'part' and a black powder percussion pistol is not a regulated firearm. If they are purchased and shipped separately no FFL transfer is required, everything can be ordered through the internet. BUT! once the percussion pistol is in your possession you are required to follow your States carry laws. If you convert it to a cartridge cylinder like I did it is now considered a regulated firearm and must comply with State, Federal FFL transfer compliance laws.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-20-20 at 08:32 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote