View Single Post
Old 03-24-20, 09:24 AM   #640
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Argument for a totally CLEAN install

After completing a career in FOTRSU I took a break and ran a career in UBoat Missions all the way to the end of the war. I did not do a clean install, just went back to the Main Menu and started the career from there after unloading the FOTRSU mod sets from JSGME. Everything in the UBoat missions career seemed just fine.

I then went back to JSGME, unloaded all mods, and deleted just the Saved Games and Rich Save Game folders, leaving all other files intact in the SH4 document folder.

I started a new career in FOTRSU in a Salmon Class boat out of Cavite/Manila. Here's where things got interesting. Every so often one of the voice acknowledgments comes out in German, such as "Los" when firing a torpedo, and the Recognition Manual has ships I've never seen before! They go by designations such as R185 (I made that name up but it is representative). There are literally 20-30 or more ships in the Merchant category like that. I didn't bother to look through anything else, because I know I have a screwed up installation.
One other thing - I always use the 300+ clear visibility mod - no matter where in the sequence I order it there was no effect on visibility - first time that ever happened.

I've seen mod soup effects before, but nothing like this - almost a mix between SH3-GWX and SH4, with some changes overriding parts of mods that worked perfectly in the past.

So, my caution to everyone is to follow the accepted procedure when changing careers, mods, or whatever. Unintall (delete) your SH4 Documents folder completely - the game will make a new one when you run it the first time), uninstall the entire game, do a clean install up to version 1.5 (Uboat missions) in any folder except the dreaded "Program Files" folders, and then follow the directions for a new install of the mods you want. Don't forget to rerun Large Address Aware for the "new" SH4.exe after turning off the "read only" for all game files, etc.

Lesson learned!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote