View Single Post
Old 03-06-20, 10:38 AM   #778
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I went a bit into the links provided above, on air masks.Some words of caution on some of what is beign said there.

While the data on infection rates amongst practical workers stands as it is, the claims on "having tested masks" lacks description how testing is being done in the lab , and methodology. While i may be accepting that a coarse filtering still is better than none (it will not block free virusses, but particles on which virusses for the most sit attached to them) , a finer filter of course is always better, and, and this is my main argument, it is about the fit of masks on the face. Surgical masks never seal mouth and nose against air streams at the rims of the mask completely, when the shape and material are such that they do not reliably follow the contours of skin and face. This imo is a very huge disadvantage of simple surgical masks used for the purpose of shielding you against breathing in virusses from the environment. The better alternative thus always is to use so-called respiratory masks which usally have a hardframe with soft silicon lips at the rims that allow the user to seal off nose and mouth more reliably from the environment, also, these masks apply more pressure by more solid rubber bands to keep the mask in place.

Where you still can get your hands on masks, if you have the choice always prefer respiratory masks, or half-frame masks as they are called over here.

Do not use a mask filter until it is soaking with moisture. A wet filter provides no protection anymore, even helps to distribute virusses back into the environment. You want FFP3 standard, not FFP2 filter. P2 does not filter free-floating virusses out.
Thank you Sky for your mask data on what works. I was given a cheap one at the VA to protect others from my cough, but it was difficult to put on and felt horrible after just a few minutes. I even had it on upside down (my first mask) then I couldn't hardly breathe with it on and a male nurse came along and told me to pull it up over my nose due to I had it under my nose. So then the doctor came in to see me with a mask on and it was a nice one with one of those relief valves on the side. I could hardly understand a word he said though.

I will take your advice and find the right mask, but I can't imagine a world where we will all have to wear one.

I think sporting events will be the next casualty of Covid-19 and then of course anything with a long line like movie theaters
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote