View Single Post
Old 12-13-19, 05:48 PM   #12770
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Yes, you need Goblin Editor for editing those parameters. if you are not familiar with it, you should first open torpedoes_g7a-e.GR2, and then merge in the project torpedoes_g7a-e.sim. Both the Open and Merge commands are found in the 'File' menu 'File' of Goblin Editor. After merging the sim file, the desired controllers will be found in the project tree (middle window in Goblin Editor), but you need to look for them as they are mixed together with many other controllers.

That's an hard-to-find piece of information. You might find an answer in the following document:

https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthe...99&context=etd

but be warned: besides historical plausibility, there are game play factors, (like the ones mentioned by Vecko in his reply to your query) that must be considered when adopting some settings rather than others

I have read that document, it is very interesting, but doesn´t answer this question.

I have now changed the magnetic pistols to have a max detonation range of 4 meters and I have done some testing.

I think it is better now. The torps still have a high chance to pass underneath the target without exploding, and you still need to get pretty close to the keel if you want the torp to detonate under the target.

We must remember that SH5 surely measures the distance between torpedo and hull radially, that means from the center axis of the torpedo, not from its outer diameter.

I also tested with heavy seas (wind 15m/s) there is a chance that a magnetic pistol will detonate prematurely in these conditions, as there should be.

Also torpedoes seem to generally run about two meters deeper than set (at least in the test mission, or the ships keel is not as deep as advertised)

So all in all, 4 meters allows you to get a hit by estimating the targets draft, but still requires you to get pretty close. I would advise to incorporate that change into TWOS

@VDR, do you want the files?

P.S. If you look at the torpedoes in the editor, then you will notice that the G7es TX is the only torpedo that does not have a cavitation effect, apparently the entries for ParticleGenerator -> BitmapParticles are missing

Last edited by Tonci87; 12-13-19 at 05:59 PM.
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote