Old 02-11-18, 07:49 PM   #6
GSmith63
Sailor man

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Good points everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
AFAIK this is true of the Echo Is (which were something akin to the US Regulus cruise-missile subs in that the missiles they fired were of intended for use against shore targets and had no anti-ship capability, fewer missile as well). They basically functioned as handicapped Novembers for the latter half of their service careers.

The Echo IIs were in commission until 89 for the most part according to records (I think the only ones retired before that were the ones involved in reactor incidents) but I have no idea about how active they'd be at that point or specifically what they'd be tasked to do. Some had been upgraded to carry SS-N-12 variants and I'd think those would be the most valuable / dangerous. Logically what I'd like to see as far as Echos go is, either late-war desperation missions where the Soviet Navy maybe starts trying to break out with Echos due to the attrition of better units (maybe after you sink X number of Charlie or Oscar class, although as I understand it the game doesn't support anything like this yet). Another option would be a type of bastion clearance mission, maybe a CVBG does intend to bush into the Barents say around Bear Island and you need to clear out a force of 2nd-line SSGNs before they do, at penalty of losing the carrier group or having them forced back if you are unsuccessful.
OK, that makes a lot of sense. I'll probably remove the Echo IIs from most of the wolfpack missions. Might keep one in just for fun though.
GSmith63 is offline   Reply With Quote