View Single Post
Old 11-02-17, 11:53 PM   #5
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
one on one duel single mission - me vs him - no planes, no choppers etc

**OK, I've played this one a few times.

me either. but i am often finding myself in this predicament with the enemy sub or surface ships going straight to pinging like all get out and inevitably, im found. range to target, aspect ratio etc seem to make no difference.

**The enemy subs do seem to be more aggressive with active sonar in this game. Maybe they're modeled that way considering Russian sonar was not as good as ours, so they try to even the odds a bit by going active more often. Just a guess. 15,000+yds seems like a bit of a stretch for active range tho.

in this case, the mission started. parameters were close to 20Kyds immediately on mission start i ordered ultra quiet, ordered 2 knots and started listening. after a few minutes made contact and identified target. decided i would be cute and close the range and get a good shot at him out of the baffles. went deep. then ping. event camera showed him firing the SS-N-16 so i know it was him.

**Were you cavitating when the mission started? Those few seconds of cavitation are enough to give him a quick sonar contact at the start, and even tho you probably vanished from his sonar when you went quiet, he had a bearing on you. Accurate range, dunno how he did that so fast unless he got a workable range from a active sonar ping. Maybe from there he just got lucky.

bare naked, 100% vanilla, bone stock updated to the latest version via steam

**Then I don't think you wanna try the realism mod. It gets a lot tougher than stock.

EDIT: i guess the minute you make sonar contact and ID them and have a solution over any decent percentage the trick is to just go guns blazing. if active (or even passive) sonar is as dead on accurate in real life as it is in cold waters, i would go so far as to say the submarine as a weapon - is entirely obsolete.

**I had a mission that worked out for me almost the same as what you had here. Whiskey sub close in and I got nothing on sonar no matter what I do. I finally go active and after a few pings I still got nothing, but he got all he needed cause then I get a trop launch video from him. Now I got a close in torp and my sonar never hears it. I don't find it until its almost in my pocket. The only thing you can do in this situation is fire a torp down his bearing, set it for his depth and to go active, snake pattern, and let it go. Steer it if you have the time, if not cut the wires and run. I try to keep the wires as long as I can, even if I let the torp get a bit too clos to be. I just start evading and cross my fingers.

The sub is far from obsolete, believe it. You'll get better at all this in time. Just keep playing, keep searching the forums for info on the game, talk to people who have played a lot. Also, check out YouTube. There are several vids about Cold Waters that cover a lot of info. Tutorials, torp evasion, tracking targets, sonar, etc. Everything you need to know. Just have faith.

"CC"

**I messed up the quote box in the beginning of this post, sorry. Looks confusing.
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote