View Single Post
Old 11-02-17, 11:30 PM   #4
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Were there any other enemy assets in the mission? Any surface ships? What about any helo's or aircraft dropping sonobouys in your area? Are you positive the torp was a SS-N-16 from the Victor and not a aerial dropped weapon from a helo or May/Bear ASW aircraft?
one on one duel single mission - me vs him - no planes, no choppers etc

Quote:
If you were heading right at him at slow speed and deep, and at 15,000+ yds, I don't understand how he heard you unless you did something to get his attention.
me either. but i am often finding myself in this predicament with the enemy sub or surface ships going straight to pinging like all get out and inevitably, im found. range to target, aspect ratio etc seem to make no difference.

in this case, the mission started. parameters were close to 20Kyds immediately on mission start i ordered ultra quiet, ordered 2 knots and started listening. after a few minutes made contact and identified target. decided i would be cute and close the range and get a good shot at him out of the baffles. went deep. then ping. event camera showed him firing the SS-N-16 so i know it was him.

Quote:
Are you using the realism mod? Any mods? What version of the game?
bare naked, 100% vanilla, bone stock updated to the latest version via steam

EDIT: i guess the minute you make sonar contact and ID them and have a solution over any decent percentage the trick is to just go guns blazing. if active (or even passive) sonar is as dead on accurate in real life as it is in cold waters, i would go so far as to say the submarine as a weapon - is entirely obsolete.