View Single Post
Old 11-02-17, 07:21 PM   #1
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default My only complaint about cold waters...

Is the ease with which the player sub is detected... it is simply phenomenal.

There i am, rigged for ultra quiet. creeping along at 2 kts 1200 foot deep. I am maintaining a low aspect ratio on Sierra 1 by pointing my snout directly at her.

Sierra one is a Victor class sub, some 15,000 - 17,000 yards away

one ping from that Victor and i have two of those SS-N-16s heading my way in two seconds flat.

obviously they land in the water directly above me and circle around and around in their descent.

I fire off a MOSS and change direction and depth, the SS-N-16s home in on the MOSS and miss it and then home immediately on me. Im forced into more aggressive evasive action at this point.

now I'm as noisy as Neal Stevens' Aces of the Deep glory days stories after his 8th round at the Depth Charge Saloon in Cougar Trap, Texas.

Before you know it, i now have no less than 10 or 12 torpedoes in a swirling cluster fox melee on every bearing.

I'm feeling like Patches O'Houlihan doing my best to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge while popping decoys and forming knuckles. usually i can manage to evade these torpedoes until they reach their run limit and detonate. but other times, the sea is so full of torpedoes that there will be several of them tailing me at any given minute.

any hope i have of maintaining long range contact with a sub and doing several hours of "end around" cat and mouse games to get into their baffles is absolutely zero if i am to be discovered at such ridiculous ranges with such astounding accuracy off one ping.

suggestions? anyone else feel my pain? do i need a snickers bar? Beuller?