View Single Post
Old 09-20-17, 09:33 AM   #67
Stuart666
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Look, Im just trying to have an honest debate here, im not trying to rattle anyones chains or upset anyone. I have to say im a little disappointed when I post 3 documents that delineate actual sound levels and sonar capability, and the only answer I can get is 'well its out of date'. Please, have a look at all three and tell me that the DTIC document on sound levels in the Norwegian sea isnt just a little interesting at least? It even delineates the sound levels which look on nodding terms with those already in the game. The only point it seems to disagree is background noise.

The point im trying to illustrate is, in service these systems were upgraded. If you plugged in some of those old sonar systems with new signal processing systems later, yes, you might well end up with better results. The point is at the time in the 1970s, that was the analysis of how well they were performing. Yes, im aware there are book figures you believe are correct, but compare with historical accounts of US and British boats training these soviet boats and you are a loss to uderstand how they did it. Unless the sonar systems, for whatever reason, were not performing as well as they book says they were.

You disagree, thats absolutely fine. I had hoped for a little less aggression in trying to actually help the process along, which was my sole aim here.

And thanks for the book recommendation. Ill keep an open mind and get it.
Stuart666 is offline   Reply With Quote