View Single Post
Old 08-02-17, 02:31 PM   #43
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
You need to retrieve it before any high speed run or you can tear it off. So you would usually retract it before you start an engagement in case you haveto evade counterfire.
This is incorrect. All TAs are capable of remaining deployed at all ship speeds... for exactly the reason you state concerning torpedo evasion. The process for retrieving takes about 10 to 15 minutes from fully deployed to fully stowed. Now, you will be functionally deaf at high speeds, and the newer thin-line systems don't like staying out at high speeds for extended periods of time, but they will NOT tear off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardDriver View Post
Or when you dive so deep that you almost touch the ground.
This, however, is a truism. TA on ground = BAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I'm wondering if there will be any of the non-retractable "point arrays" simulated, as far as I know, everything that came before TB-16 (namely BQR-15 and 25) had to be clipped on by a tug or tender when heading out to sea and clipped off when entering port.
Incorrect. As an example, the SPALT-9080 (BQQ-9) TA system originally used on OHIOs were not clip-ons. Not in the way you suggest, anyhow. It did require that we surface, send a team topside to make the physical and electrical connection, then dive the ship again (STUPID DESIGN!), but it did not require a tug or tender... just time, guts, and hopefully smooth seas. The array was still stowed in the ship's superstructure, and once connected was deployed just like the TB-16 or -23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
Shallow water OPS? Seems I am always in shallow water. Letting the towed array drag seems not a good thing.
I'll one-up you there - it doesn't SEEM to not be a good thing... it IS not a good thing. Is very bad to drag ADM Uptisquats Towed Array.... is VERY bad.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote