View Single Post
Old 06-30-17, 09:43 PM   #10
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

So on my next mission I did in fact practice my torpedo wrangling.

It was just one November, which I managed to detect fairly early. After some careful initial maneuvering into her baffles, I accelerated to standard speed to close the distance but lost the contact in the process. Not sure if that happened due to my speed or the SSN stopping cold, though that might explain how the Soviet saw me coming and fired a total of three torpedoes at me.

But I was too close by then, and shortly after picking up to flank I zigged, then zagged, and then swooped under the enemy sub as her torpedoes went nuts in the area. It really didn't take long at all for one of them to lock onto its owner and promptly punch her lights out. I was fast and maneuvering aggressively, while the November could barely react to the chaos around her.

The second torpedo soon found the now-sinking Soviet again, as I was already drifting away. The third warhead circled around the vicinity for a good long while, but never found me.

So overall, this is cool, this is great, but with a fast sub and some practice, I fear it might turn exploitable. The AI doesn't seem to react all that well to its own torpedoes locking on to it (though that may be part of the general AI issues), and at least in the '68 campaign, my first impression after these last couple of missions is that it may well be a better idea to perfect torpedo wrangling than bother with Mk 37s in sub-to-sub engagements.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote