Thread: TMA Logic
View Single Post
Old 06-30-17, 08:22 PM   #11
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

wathomas777:

I know that both CW and RSR don't simulate TMA accurately. My only major issue is that sometimes it seems to provide very fast TMA (even with the fast pace of gameplay) compared to what I would expect based on the geometry. I am basing this off of a lot of time in DW (though I did just get Fast Attack of Ebay, great game!) which I know certainly doesn't mean much compared to real world experience. I don't have any problem with the TMA plot taking a while even when doing the right things (reasonably high bearing rate delta, lagging the target to help with the first, etc), that's just gonna happen sometimes. Maybe the other skipper is really good and doing all kinds of things to mess up the plot. However sometimes it will seem to jump from 40% or so to 95% for no apparent reason, or counter intuitively. As I mentioned I had one engagement where I turned head onto the target, and as far as I could tell they did the same. Several non time compressed seconds later, I have a 95% solution off a situation that as far as I know should have just given me a bearing an no useful information regarding range.

The other part of what I would like to see changed, is how the tac map and solution sometimes jumps a large distance even when a pretty solid datum was given to use as the basis. Visually ID'ing a ship and ranging it with a laser range finder, gives bearing and range. I'd think in the real world you'd at least be able to put an X on the plot with where the heck he is right now, and then start working. Where I see it the most often, is when I have a real shaky contact, and I visually ID and range them well before I have anything close to a solution. The tac map will display their current true position, while the scope is up. The second you go scope down, they will immediately go back to an guesstimated position, that may be 5-10kyd off from where they were plotted just seconds prior. I have no issue with the solution degrading, potentially rapidly, and that fix getting less and less useful over time (based on target speed, etc). However to have that data point of a true location immediately go out the window is... vexing.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote