View Single Post
Old 06-24-17, 12:45 PM   #79
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Let me rephrase what I said about SIM vs Arcade.

There's no clear line that divides the two, it's just common sense.
For example:

ArmA 3 is a simulator, while Battlefield 3 is arcade.
Project Cars is a simulator, while Gran Turismo 5 is arcade.

This is not set on stone, but it's common knowledge and most agree.
Sure there's always the die-hard fan of GT5 that stubbornly refuses to admit PCars is more of a sim than GT5, but we usually ignore those.

It's like what my signature states.

You can always throw gasoline in the fire in this argument saying that
"hey, there's a submarine and it goes up and down and it has a periscope and it can fire torpedoes, therefore is a simulator"

But in the same light then I could say MS Window's "Minesweeper" is a great minefield simulator. It has the mines and they can blow up.

Bottomline is, Cold Waters is what it is and I can appreciate what they are trying to do and I'm sure there's a lot of
people out there who will be able to have fun with it, as they are interested in arcadish aspects of games, but I'm not.

You may also say "but in real life, did captains turn knobs, pressed buttons or turn on/off switches?"
No, they gave orders for someone else to do it. HOWEVER, if they wanted to, they could.
So, the more options the game gives, and the most realistic those options are, the more of a simulator it will be.
Driving your sub around in 3rd person camera using WASD is, in my opinion, as arcade as a game can get.
It's my opinion, I'm entitled to one.

I'm not at all interested in persuading CW developers to release updates that add more to the realism, nope.
The game is what it is, and I'm simply not interested in it. I'm just slightly surprised to see a game such as CW here at Subsim.