View Single Post
Old 06-23-17, 06:36 AM   #43
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrick View Post

As an aside a much bigger game play issue to me is the breaking of torpedo wires. I know for instance the MK48 is set to 10% chance, but I routinely can fire 4, at 5 kts level bubble and rudder, and have one wire survive launch. Even then it's rare for it to last anything close to the full run of the fish. I'm curious if there's something a bit off with the their probability generator or if I just have REALLY bad luck with torpedo wires. I even tried an experiment of setting the wire break chance to 1% with the same result.

-Jenrick
Wire break chance only affects braking the wire at launch.
If I'm not mistaken, wire braking works like that.
- % chance of braking at launch
- the biggest angle between direction of the boat and the torpedo the greatest chance of braking the wire - the manual states it's 40 deg (20 on each side), in my experience it's more like 60.
- wire will brake when your speed exceeds 15 knots
- pitching will also increase the chance of braking - this one is a bit vague and I haven't tested it much, however I have been diving at 20 deg without the wire braking, but that was at some distance from the torpedo - basically, when I have a connection I tend to change depth by ballast only.
- some boats have limited number of connections. Skipjack can have only one, Permit, Sturgeon and Narwhal can have 2 and only LA can have 4 wire guided torps at a time.

As far as I know these are the only rules that affect torpedo wires. So if you follow those rules, the only way a wire can break is if it does on launch (10% chance, but can be moddable).
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote