View Single Post
Old 06-21-17, 08:05 PM   #25
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Icon14

Here are some real world enhancements you could incorporate. These remarks are good for the 1980 to 1994 time frame.. Without getting into classification/security issues.

US boats need to be quieter. In real life, you could get really close with out being counter detected if your crew was good.

Engine order telegraph has five standard speeds:
1/3rd - 5kts
2/3rds - 10kts
Standard - 15kts
Full - 21kts approx.
Flank - as fast as you can go.

There is also back 1/3, 2/3, full. I do not think incorporating these backing bells would add much to game play.

In all but the quietest Soviets boats, you normally do not loose track at a 2/3rds bell (10 knots), sometimes even at a standard bell depending on the contact.

US Submarine detection ranges on surface ships are too short. The Fire Control Systems and its operators can generate a solution on a surface ship quickly. You almost always have a ballpark figure for the target speed based on blade rate and sonar will report this.

Towed array ranges are also too short, but I think that these are not utilized in the current version of the game.

Periscope depth starts around 68ft, depending on sea state. The top of the sail skims the surface at 50ft.

This is a BIG error: US Submarines can launch a torpedo at ANY speed.

Torpedo guidance wires are not a fragile as in the game. You can keep your wires at higher speeds.

If your wire is good, once a torpedo detects a contact or starts homing, it reports back contact range, course and speed as referenced from ownship. Thats not all but it is enough for a game simulation.

I posted this in another thread but I'll reiterate:
688's come in four (4) flights.

688-699 - Flt 1 (all first flights were upgraded to flt2's in their first major yard period)
700-718 - Flt 2
719-750 - Flt 3 (The first VLS boats)
751-773 - Flt 4 (also know as 688I's.)
No fairwater planes. Bow plane incorporated. FireControl and Sonar upgraded to BSY-1. An upgrade from BQQ-5. Incorporated a 6" countermeasure launcher in addition to the standard 3" launcher.
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote