View Single Post
Old 06-19-17, 12:19 PM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default HMAS Melbourne collides with destroyer USS Frank E Evans

We should be thankful; it could have been a lot worse; I still remember this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne%E2%80%93Evans_collision The bow section sank quickly within a minute; the majority of those killed were believed to have been trapped within...Seventy-four of the 273 crew on Evans were killed. A memorial to the collision is located in Niobrara, Nebraska. The memorial specifically commemorates the three Sage brothers, all of whom were aboard Evans and were killed in the collision. They were the first group of siblings permitted to serve on the same ship since World War II, a result of the policy introduced when the five Sullivan brothers were killed following the sinking of USS Juneau. Collision survivors and family members of Evans personnel have held annual reunions to memorialize the accident. Australian sailors who served on Melbourne often attend. In both incidents, junior officers were in command; the skippers in their captain's quarters: A training film, I Relieve You, Sir, was developed by the USN for junior watchkeeping officers. Based around the events of the collision, the film demonstrates the responsibility junior watchkeeping officers hold, and the potential consequences of failing to do their job. I expect the investigation, as with the 1969 incident, will be a political appeasement/scapegoat affair.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote