View Single Post
Old 06-13-17, 01:29 PM   #41
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

I think expecting CW to accurately simulate every aspect is is just misinterpreting the game. It's about making tactical/strategic decisions as a captain of a nuclear sub.

For example, I'm sure the captain does need to know how the sound moves through water, so he can give orders to optimize detection, if needed. But he doesn't need to know every detail of it.
And so the game doesn't need to simulate stuff that wouldn't affect the captain's decisions.

Right now we can change sensitivity for different sensors, weapon parameters and ship data. All that's left is to find values that give results as close to real ones as possible.
And I agree with Stormrider_sp, that putting real data will get us closer to realism. If a non-real value will give real result that's fine by me. We'll put that one and enjoy the game.
The biggest problem with that is that there is very little actual data on the subject. We can't say, for example, with fill certainty, how far away should a Soviet sonar buoy detect a LA class sub sailing at 5kn in calm weather. That's why I made this thread. So that we can get some sort of consensus on what things need changing and which values would give more realistic results.

So far the thing that most of us seems to agree is that weapons need more punch.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote