View Single Post
Old 04-06-17, 10:11 PM   #51
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Not sure what you mean here, I am mostly wanting to get Far Cry 2 running, this won't run well in Win 10 and I want to stay away from Windows.
If I install the game does it have to be on a NTSF drive?
Certainly I can access the Win 10 files but don't want to corrupt Win 10.
Should I install it in Win 10 but then access the exe file through Wine?
Confused!!
I mean, that if you have a Hard drive partition formatted with NTFS (Windows), that Linux "sees" that partition as a "Windows drive". Meaning, that if you have a Windows installation (which you currently do on that PC), you can access that NTFS drive with Windows. So Linux allows you to access the NTFS partition in Linux as well.

To illustrate: Lets say you have a house. And roughtly 1/4 of that house is divided into a a storage room, such as a garage.

You have a key to the main house (Linux), and you have a key to the garage (Windows).
So it makes sense that the "house key" would also unlock the door between the house and the garage. Since restricting you from accessing the garage from the house makes no sense. As you can go outside and open the outer door to the garage.

You already "own" the NTFS drive with Windows, so Linux let's you "own" the NTFS drive in Linux as well.

I really hope that made sense...

Also with wine, you can install to WHERE YOU WANT. Using winecfg you can set a directory to be a "hard drive".

One of my previous post I said that I have /home/<login-name>/driveH for all of my 32bit games. These games "see" this directory as "H:\".

Remember, wine is just telling the program what it wants to hear so that the program will run.

On my last PC, I had a 300GB WD Raptor with 1 partition of 300GB.

Windows had the raptor set as "H:\".
Linux mounted my Raptor partition (sda1), at /mnt/raptor
So in winecfg I set "H:\" as /mnt/raptor .
So just so I could keep it straight -in my head-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Well imo that sucks, does this mean that my version of Ubuntu will be redundant and in 2018 I have to reinstall the new version from scratch?
Can this version just be upgraded?
This seems worse than Windows!!

There is a time frame where a version (i.e Ubuntu 16.04, Fedora 25, etc) is supported.

For 16.04, which according to Ubuntu, (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases) will be supported until 2021. However I believe there is an upgrade program in Ubuntu. I know Fedora has one. That will allow you to upgrade without the need to "re-install" the new version.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 04-06-17 at 10:19 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote