View Single Post
Old 04-03-17, 10:11 AM   #28
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Suffice it to say that Linux treats resources entirely differently from how Windows does. Linux is about interoperability. Windows is about proprietary exclusivity. Just like translating between two languages like German and English, it's not enough to learn it consciously.

You have to learn to THINK and dream in both German and English, making them truly native processes before you can understand all the nuances. Barracuda is further along in that than I am. I know enough to go find what I need and probably understand it.

Just had a fun time learning about .desktop files. When you're looking at them they don't look like "VeeamAgentforLinux.desktop." Inside the file is the specification for what it will look like, what the icon is and where it lives in the guts of Linux. So "VeeamAgentforLinux.desktop" might display as "Micky Mouse" and you might not have any clue what it is! Luckily, people just don't do that.

So I wrote a script to run Veeam Agent for Linux as super user in a terminal window, put it in /home/steverobbins/.ssh, then wrote a text file named "VeeamAgentforLinux.desktop" on the desktop. It specifies the name of the program that will be displayed, the path to the actual script and the icon that will be displayed. I understand (poorly) that putting it in /usr/share/applications/ allows me to put it anywhere I want: desktop, launcher, maybe even indicator bar. So I made a copy there as well. Linux icons hang out in the /usr/share/icons directory.

All from the terminal window. I was pretty proud of myself for crawling a few feet there. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it done in nautilus and gedit GUI applications. But learning the terminal version helps you understand the GUI better.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote