View Single Post
Old 01-13-17, 06:19 AM   #6802
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Destroyers can hear you on surface pretty much the same as when you are submerged, maybe even better. I wish I could tweak and separate these detection distances but I don't know how or is it even possible.
Are not the elevation/bearing detection parameters of the obj_Sensor controller correctly applied in game?
After looking at stock settings, it is my understanding that bearing settings are relative to units' heading (0 deg = afore, 90 = abeam, 180 = aft of the vessel/aircraft) and the elevation settings are relative to her zenith (0 deg = up to her zenith, 90 = parrallel to the horizontal plane, 180 = down to her nadir). Unlike player's sensor settings, AI settings are symmetrical, so a bearing of 90 deg means at a right angle relative to vessel's heading on both sides, and aan elevatio of 90 deg means parallel to the horizon both in front and on the back of the vessel.

That said, most hydrophones in game have a MinElevation setting of 80 deg, i.e. their vertical detection arc is not parallel to the water surface but it points upwards, with just a small area left uncovered on the surface, very close to the AI unit. Increasing that angle to 90 deg, or slightly more, should make any enemy sailing ad a shallower depth than AI ship's draft undetectable to her hydrophones (save on high waves, when ships' pitch might bring the detection arc of their hydrophones closer to enemy surfaced vessels during some fractions of second). Small, shallow ASW vessels might still be able detecting a surfaced submarine, but to obviate that problem the attaching bone of their hydrophones might be moved to a position deeper than their keel. I know that this is not an orthodox solution, but if nothing else works...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote