View Single Post
Old 01-08-17, 12:48 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yes, I agree subs are still the best ICBM platform.

Yeah, maybe that's it. Submarines are obsolete, we just don't realize it yet. I certainly agree that you could get a lot more bang for $2 billion using drones and missiles.
They will become obsolete one day, but before that day, they have a role to serve, and that role will last longer than that of aircraft carrier groups.

In the end, there will be autonomous weapon and sensor platforms. Whether that will be a survivable scenario for mankind, remains to be seen. I have growing doubts, and many future-researching scientists as well. AI could very well one day replace mankind.

I sometimes think that the infrastructure of the internet as well as its conditioning influence on the behaviour of man are signs that a globe-embracing AI already is there, and is self-emerging now, like a dissipative structure in chaos theory. Which means: we do not have its attracotrs it forms itself by, its finals tatus under control. And there is where the big unknown, the big potential danger lies. What if this AI gains self awareness, self-maintainability - and decides mankind to be not needed, being imperfect, being even a risk?