View Single Post
Old 10-29-16, 08:31 AM   #1716
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon12 HISTORY'S FIRST HYBRID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMBUNA
HMS Nubian (Royal Navy) Battle of Dover Strait: The Tribal-class destroyer was torpedoed and damaged by a Kaiserliche Marine destroyer and was beached. She was subsequently salvaged, with her stern section being joined to the bow section of HMS Zulu ( Royal Navy), the new ship being named HMS Zubian.
In late 1916, two British destroyers of the 6th Flotilla in the Dover PatrolNubian and Zulu—were badly damaged by German attacks in the English Channel. Nubian's bow had been destroyed by a torpedo from a German torpedo boat on 26 October, while Zulu had her stern blown off by a mine in the Channel on 8 November, and was towed to Calais. Both wrecks were then towed to Chatham Dockyard, where a complete destroyer was constructed by joining the foreparts of Zulu with the stern of Nubian,and despite a 3.5 inches (89 mm) difference in beam,the unique operation was successful. The ship was renamed Zubian by Admiral Reginald Bacon, the commander of the Dover Patrol. The hybrid destroyer was commissioned on 7 June 1917. The choice of name caused confusion among the German Imperial Admiralty Staff, who knew of no such ship under construction. THE hybrid EFFORT PAID OFF:
Quote:
On 4 February 1918, she encountered the mine-laying UC-50 in the Dover Strait; the U-boat was surfaced about 400 yards (370 m) off Zubian's port bow with her radio antennae up. Zubian attempted to ram the submarine but the Germans managed to submerge. The destroyer then dropped depth charges over the submerged U-boat and a significant amount of oil and wreckage was observed thereafter. Zubian marked the location with a buoy and an hour later, the patrol vessel HMS P12 dropped additional depth charges there. Trawlers later located an object that divers confirmed was UC-50.
a considerable victory as UC-50 (kapitänleutnant Rudolf Seuffer), had sunk 29 vessels; five of which were Royal Navy vessels.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote