View Single Post
Old 10-28-16, 11:56 AM   #1585
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default How to ruin Christmas two months early

1776: The Battle of White Plains was fought during the Revolutionary War resulting in a limited British victory.... Or so sayeth the Today in History column of my local newspaper which inspired this (wondrous) thread to begin with. So I marveled at the distinction: inasmuch as all British victories R limited Aftermath:
Quote:
The two generals remained where they were for two days, while Howe reinforced the position on Chatterton Hill, and Washington organized his army for retreat into the hills. With the arrival of additional Hessian and Waldeck troops under Lord Percy on October 30, Howe planned to act against the Americans the following day. However, a heavy rain fell the whole next day, and when Howe was finally prepared to act, he awoke to find that Washington had again eluded his grasp...
That eluding would have serious consequences; having escaped to Pennsylvania with his army, the next engagement would be Washington's crossing the Delaware to surprise the the Hessians at Trenton...on Christmas Day! One of history's greater PR moments(I say PR moment: no accomplished boatman stands up in that kind of water! (this is a naval forum after all!)
Quote:
Ninety percent of the Continental Army soldiers who had served at Long Island were gone. Men had deserted, feeling that the cause for independence was lost. Washington, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, expressed some doubts, writing to his cousin in Virginia, "I think the game is pretty near up." Despite the battle's small numbers, 2400 Yankees vs 1500 Hessians, the pivotal American victory inspired rebels in the colonies. With the success of the revolution-in doubt a week earlier-the army had seemed on the verge of collapse. The dramatic victory inspired soldiers to serve longer and attracted new recruits to the ranks.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote